Thursday, December 31, 2009

365

I began this blog 365 days ago because I have a terrible memory. Terrible. In my first years in the working world and my first 4 months at business school, I found myself so focused on getting through my work that often days bled into weeks and months, and occasionally I would look around and not remember a thing about what had just happened. Sure there would be bits and pieces that would stick out, but I wondered how different it would be if I stopped trying to power through days and started trying to make each day unique and memorable. This resolution was my attempt. If I could find something worth noting in each day, maybe I'd start remembering all the days and would remember what my year had been made of. For the crazy group of people who actually read this blog on anywhere near a regular basis, I hope that provided some humor or gave you a way to see what I've been up to without having to listen to me drone on about income statements or evolution on the phone.

So have I been able to remember more? Here's what I remember were the highlights of 2009:
- I only insulted my mother once (on this blog), and I believe that's a success.
- 81 different restaurants in New York City, one for every day I spent there this summer.
- The sunset over the Hudson River. I realized I didn't yet have a picture of the day on my walk home, so I took a random turn feeling adventurous and saw the most spectacular sunset.
- I was robbed and lost my purse in the same week. It would have been terrifying if not for my friends, who gave me a place to stay, a credit card, $200, a hand, and a laugh.
- Signed with a firm and am ecstatic to return to NYC full time, where I will begin the process of getting everyone I care about in a 10 mile radius of each other.
- I was bitten by a brown recluse spider. Who gets bitten by a brown recluse?
- Amy and Robert, Jura and Piers got married.
- The first of my friends announcing they are expecting babies.
- I spent time in Maryland, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Florida, Texas, Colorado, North Carolina, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, Argentina, England, and the Isle of Man
- I sailed the Long Island Sound and Jeff got "strep"
- I visited Austin and boated on the Tokyo Sunshine.
- I saw Barack Obama inaugurated from the press box on the mall.
- I shot fireworks with Neal's neighbor off of his back porch.
- My avocado tree grew from a seed to a two feet tall beast.
- I had a white Christmas.
- I rafted the Gauley and New rivers in West Virginia.
- I hiked the red rocks of Zion and Bryce.
- I invented sea kayak surfing.
- Most importantly, I made memories with the people I care about.

In the coming year, I will no longer be taking a picture each day. I've always thought I wanted to spend my life in a series of adventures, so why not start now? Therefore, 2010 will be the year of 100 adventures, and I'll record each here.

Goodbye 2009! For once, I'll sort of remember you!


No comments:

Post a Comment