Monday, March 9, 2009

68

I woke up at noon and went for a run in the scalding sun. Afterwards, I went to the local cafe, sat outside in a light cotton dress, and drank a cappuccino. We took a long walk to Recoleta cemetery to see Eva Peron's grave. The cemetery was above ground, reminiscent of the cemeteries in New Orleans. It felt like an earth-bound city of the dead.  We saw bones in a grave that had been broken into and robbed. Afterwards, I sat with Nicole in a small Palermo cafe and enjoyed a second cappuccino, a dollop of dulce de leche, and fresh cherry tomato and mozzarella salad. For the night, we walked to 878, a speakeasy-esque Palermo bar with no marked door (only a bouncer to judge whether you should be allowed in). At a 2am bedtime, this ended up being the earliest night of our week. Miles left: 827.

No comments:

Post a Comment