Cabbed to San Telmo, the oldest neighborhood in Buenos Aires. We had huge greasy sandwiches at El Hipopotamo, an almost French or European looking smokey cafe on Brazil and Defense. Walked through a seedy park and saw approximately 27 couples making out. Aggressively. That park was ground zero for all awkward making out in the larger BA area. We experienced our first street tango show, and I bartered for goods with a street vendor! In spanish! Great success. The boys discovered Quilmes, i.e. Crystal, i.e. beers that cost $2 (pesos) or $0.70 (U.S. dollars)... per liter. I discovered that good wine can be purchased in BA for under $5. Emily, Miranda, and I wandered to Puerto Madero and relished the river breeze, open cafes, and awkward 50 year olds making out over Malbec (seeing a theme?). After the afternoon siesta, we returned to Puerto Madero for $50 peso all you can eat steak. Keep in mind $50 is about $15. The $50 also covered a bottle of wine... per person. These really are my kind of people. We followed our meat gorging with a night out at La Cigale (thanks to Trey). The night was full of New Zealanders and translating "I like you and would like to leave with you" into spanish for friends. We settled comfortably into the Argentinian schedule of wake up at 2pm, lunch at 7, dinner at 11, bed at sunrise. Miles left: 824
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment